Our Sustana™ Products
Alcoa is reinventing for a more sustainable future. Today, as part our vision, we're helping our customers lower the carbon footprint of their supply chains through our Sustana™ family of low-carbon products, the most comprehensive in the aluminum industry.
Primary aluminum with a low-carbon footprint 3.5 times better than the industry average
EcoLum™ is primary aluminum with a carbon footprint that is 3.5 times better than the industry average. Produced from renewably powered smelters, EcoLum™ is offered in a full range of primary products, including billet, foundry, slab, unalloyed high purity, and P1020.
- EcoLum™ primary aluminum is produced with less than 4.0 metric tons of CO2e for every ton of metal, including both direct and indirect (Scope 1 and Scope 2) emissions across the entire production chain, including bauxite mining and alumina refining
- Material is available with certification from Aluminium Stewardship Initiative
- Verified according to ISO 14025, and life cycle analysis per ISO 14044
- Corporate (GHG) inventory calculations third-party verified and consistent with ISO 14064
Smelter grade alumina with carbon emissions that are two times lower than the industry average
The world's only low-carbon smelter-grade alumina brand, EcoSource™, has a carbon footprint that is two times lower than the global average. EcoSource™ can be delivered globally, and has no more than 0.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalents per ton of alumina produced, leveraging Alcoa's mine-to-refinery advantage. This product enhances Alcoa's existing alumina refining portfolio, which boasts the industry's lowest average carbon dioxide emissions.
- Emissions data include both direct and indirect emissions (Scope 1-2) from both bauxite mining and alumina refining
- All EcoSource™ production assets certified by Aluminium Stewardship Initiative
- Locations certified against international quality standard ISO 9001 and environmental standard ISO 14001
- Corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory calculations third-party verified and consistent with ISO 14064
Aluminum with recycled content
Aluminum with at least 50 percent recycled content, supporting the circular economy
Aluminum's status as a nearly infinitely recyclable metal makes it a key enabler of the circular economy. EcoDura™ contains at least 50 percent recycled content, conserving significant amounts of energy and reducing the environmental impacts associated with producing virgin aluminum. EcoDura™ is manufactured in North America, Europe and Brazil, using clean scrap from verified sources and is available to customers globally.
- EcoDrua™ locations are ISO 9001 certified
- The product can contribute to LEED® certification points for sustainable building and construction projects
Scope 1 and 2 included for bauxite, alumina and aluminum emissions, calculated in accordance with the IAI Aluminium Sector GHG Protocol, addendum to the WRI/WBCSD GHG protocol, the WRI/WBCSD Calculation Tool for Direct Emissions from Stationary Combustion, and the WRI GHG Protocol Scope 2 Protocol.